Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Conversations with a Roadesian.

I see him often in my morning walks. Usually morose with one ear drooping, he looks sheepishly at me, fearing a rebuke, which he gets from most.
Today he was grinning from ear to ear.
Surprised, I tarried and gazed.
Finally breaking the silence I asked him ‘Kya hua?’
He stopped grinning and said ‘finally we have managed to stop you guys’.
We? Who is we?
‘Us dogs and cats and birds and Corona.’
WHAT?

‘Yup mon ami, it’s nature’s reply to your shenanigans. You guys had crossed all limits in exploiting resources. This thing called wealth and money. I wouldn’t even raise my leg to do, you know what, on it. You guys kill each other for it. Make others of your kind into slaves. And die empty handed.
Ever seen a dog holding another in chains?You guys are the limit.
And you call each other kutta?
Well, we tell pet dogs-It’s a mans life.
Anyway Corona, my friend has immobilised you and all your exploitative stupidity.
All activities have slowed down and we find the air better to breathe.
You guys are mad if you feel you can make the world spin faster.
Corona has slammed the brakes and now you will find time to rediscover your family, friends and children.
We’re not your enemies. We’re doing you all a favour by making you pause.
And yes Corona my friend, kills only 2 out of 100 of you jokers. Yet kaisi phati hai sabki.
You guys are real cowards. Kicking weaker beings, and seeking strength from imaginary gods.
That’s why I grin.’

I stared stupefied.
A talking dog was a wonder, but talking rationally, intelligently was something I hadn’t seen anyone do in years.
I touched my fingers to my forehead in a silent salute, and left him smiling.

1 comment: